Entrepreneurial endeavors are nothing but profit making ones. As business is no charity but involves many stakeholders, they must make profits. A profit is generally defined as the excess of income over expenditure or an income from an investment or transaction. All these definitions imply that overt selling or large transactions are the only means of making profit.
But there are many subtle factors that can boost the profits like optimizing resources (human and machinery), eliminating unnecessary overheads, short-term investments of surplus money etc. All these activities can simply be termed as ‘savings’.
How to Build Successful Enterprise
Infancy of an enterprise is not a cake-wake survival. Aspiring entrepreneur must work hard for every penny that has been invested and should protect every penny from bleeding. Following aspects should be considered to build successful enterprise:
• Make a detailed business plan. Do extensive research on the intended business category.
• Get a SWOT analysis done beforehand.
• Seek advises from experts, seniors and well wishers.
• Estimate investment required in terms of working capital, overheads, publicity expenses etc. Achieving near-accuracy is more important.
• Chalk out cash flows and cash reserve plans.
• Scout for the best bank for savings account or current account.
• Look for statutory benefits and tax reliefs.
• Design robust database and reporting structure for all functions.
• Create excellent and effective marketing and customer support systems.
• Finally get right people in right place. This may take little time as the employees need to be given with chances to prove their metal but within certain timelines.
Drive Savings from Word Go
Aspiring businesspersons should value every penny and make other colleagues to follow the suit. To achieve savings right from inception, following points must be implemented immediately:
• Lead the team by example and exhibit the traits of being cost conscious.
• Recycle and reuse practices must be developed by one and all.
• Identify surplus assets, materials, consumables etc. and reduce duplicate purchases. To do this, regular stock taking must be done and an effective asset management system to be put in place.
• Optimized usage of office furniture, equipment and consumables should be implemented. Sensitize employees about rampant usage of office assets for their personal works.
• Monitor cash expenses. Many times people find it very easy to buy a product or service by shelling money. This practice must be limited for exigencies alone and shall not become a practice.
• Ensure that the business travels are linked to the revenue. Futile travels on unconfirmed business leads should be avoided.
• Utilize economical features like video/audio conferencing or webinars to speak to clients, peers or business associates.
• Inculcate the habit of cost saving measures to the suppliers, vendors and business associates.
• Utilities like electricity and water cost a lot to the exchequer. Optimal utilization must be undertaken and deploying energy conservation measure through energy efficient equipments should be done on priority.
• Encourage the employees in achieving all the above tasks by involving them actively.
‘A penny saved is a penny earned’ and this adage does not have an expiry date!