The first consideration needs to be how much space you have to play with in order to build a custom theatre system, as part of this aspect, you will need to consider whether you will be converting an existing room, adding an extension or building a shed to create a standalone theatre/media room.
Think about what you will want to use the room for to determine the type of media equipment that you will require.
If it will only be for personal use, then you can create it to your heart’s desire. However, if you intend to entertain others, you will need to take into account how this can best be achieved, such as whether you will require a certain number of seats.
It will also be necessary to consider the equipment that you will need for your ideal custom theatre system by considering how it will be used, such as for movies, television and music.
There are a number of steps that you will need to complete in order to build a home theatre system:
• Start by determining where the home theatre will be in your property, such as whether it will be in the house or if you intend to build separate accommodation. Consider whether it will add value to your home and whether you will miss the previous use of the room if you are taking the conversion route.
• In the event that you intend to undertake some construction, you are likely to require planning consent, so it will be prudent to determine whether this is the case and obtain this first.
• When building, get several quotes from contractors and get recommendations before proceeding.
• Converting an existing room will be a little easier and is not likely to require the assistance of a contractor.
• Once you know where you are going to locate the home theatre, you can determine how much space you have to play with, which will help you figure out what equipment will suit.
• Draw up a floor plan to figure out where all the necessary equipment will be placed. Ensure that you get measurements precise to ensure, for example, that the height of the screen will be in a comfortable position for the seating.
• Determine whether you want a traditional TV screen, or a projector.
• Think about whether you want surround sound and, accordingly, where the speakers will be placed.
When buying the equipment for the theatre system, be sure to shop around in order to get the best prices and look out for sales and deals.
In addition to the cost of the goods you will need, you should also take into account the ongoing costs, such as for maintenance, insurance and power.